Skip to main content

My Week in Berlin: Tourist and Training!!

Hey Guys, welcome to the second post of the blog series where I will give you some insight into my week spent in Berlin. Everything from training to sightseeing and also food! Hope you enjoy 😀

TV Tower Berlin 
Tuesday 10th September:

Today I woke up around 9am once again and chilled in the house and had some breakfast for about an hour before I headed into Berlin for the day. I left around 10:30 and headed for the number 296 bus which I could get as far as the 'Tiergarten' before I got off and got onto the U5 (Underground train). I bought a day ticket for the public transport which costs €7, but it allows you to use all forms of public transport across the city. I got the U5 as far as Alexanderplatz which is the center of the city (You know this because the 'TV Tower' is located here which marks the center of the city). I walked around the area for a few minutes to familiarize myself before heading off to see a lot of the famous historical sites. The first site I visited was the 'Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe'. This site was really touching as it remembers all the Jews who lost their lives during the war. After this I walked to the Brandenburg Gate, a famous Berlin landmark. The gate represents German unity and freedom since the end of the cold war. I strolled around the area which surrounds the gate for a little while, and even stopped to write some postcards home before continuing on for the rest of the day. After some time I headed back to the train station at Alexanderplatz and I headed to the famous Berlin Wall. The history behind the wall and everything that occurred during the war is really interesting and symbolic. I really enjoyed visiting the historic landmarks. The last stop for me was 'Checkpoint Charlie'. The Checkpoint Charlie was best know as the crossing point between the east and west sides of Berlin during the cold war. I took some time here to do the guided tour of the museum which I found very interesting. 
Brandenburg Gate

After a long day of touring Berlin, I headed back to Alexanderplatz where I got a train to my club's hall where we trained for two hours. From only a few days of training in Berlin I have learnt some new things and I have really enjoyed the different training. My team all warm-up as a group which shows the close-nit connection between all the players which I really like. It brings the group closer and everyone feels like a good member of the team. After training, I went for food with Kai, one of the players on the team and we ate Japanese food. A first for me but there's always a first time for everything! And much to my surprise I really enjoyed the food!




Wednesday 11th September:
297 Steps Later I made it to the top...
Today I woke up at 7:45 and got some breakfast before heading to training for 9am. This morning we trained in a local school with some of the students who are training to become full-time players when they leave. This was a really enjoyable session and I learnt some new drills and ways of training from the coach in just a two-hour session. The players are all really professional and train at the highest level.

After training, I went into Berlin again to visit some more of the sites. First up I went to the Berlin Cathedral (Berlin Dom). This was amazing, the Cathedral is beautiful and I absolutely loved it. The inside of the Cathedral was so delicate and the details were amazing. Like most other parts of Berlin, the Cathedral also has an interesting history and I really enjoyed this. If anyone is ever planning a trip to Berlin, the Cathedral is a must see! You can even go up on the rooftop and have an amazing view of the city! My favorite part so far! 

I then headed back for the train station and made my way to training once again. This was a good session and some more people joined the training so I really enjoyed this and worked hard once again. This session was more match practice, getting ready for the Berlin Derby at the weekend. See if you can spot the German legend in the photo below!!


My Training group at SG EBT Berlin 


Thursday 12th September:
Olympiastadion Berlin
This morning I woke up around 9am again and had a relaxing morning before I headed off into the city once again. This time I trekked all the way across Berlin to the Olympiastadion for a stadium tour. The tour was not just like any regular stadium tour, as the site itself is a landmark from the war as the 1936 Olympic Games were held here. The tour still covered information about the Hertha Berlin team who play here, however, a lot of the tour was about it's history including information about Hitler and the Nazi's. I spent some time wandering around the stadium before heading back for the S-Bahn where I headed back for Alexanderplatz. I then headed straight for East Side Gallery, the part of The Berlin Wall where artists came and drew murals following the war. 

Berlin Wall Memorial
After my busy day, I headed to the training hall once again to get some good practice in before the big match at the weekend. Myself and Kai worked together today, doing a tough multi-feed session which rounded off a tough weeks training. Our last session on Friday will probably just be a light hitting session. I had such a great time experiencing Berlin this week, especially the history of the city which I found very interesting. The training here has been brilliant, I have really enjoyed learning from the different people I have encountered and having a new environment to train in gave me a different outlook. I was lucky enough to meet Marc Zwiebler also who I will hopefully have more time to train with and learn from.  I am now looking forward to playing with my team on Saturday (SG EBT Berlin) against the other Berlin team. This match is going to be very exciting as the battle of the capitol commences.

I will post my final update of the blog series following the second weekend of Bundesliga matches this weekend! Talk soon! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warm ups 101

Hey guys, welcome back to my blog. For this post I am going to talk about how we should warm up before a training session and I will also give you an example of my warm ups. Hope you enjoy! Warm ups in my opinion are a vital component of training. Every athlete,in every sport should do a warm up. The point behind warming up is that it gradually warms up our body temperature which decreases risk of injury. Skipping a warm up completely can be extremely detrimental not only to your performance but you can also pick up an injury easily because your muscles aren't warm. A warm up should last roughly 15-20 minutes. Dr Ian Jeffreys developed the framework RAMP protocol which allows for activities to be easily classified into a warm-up sequence. 1. R aise 2. A ctivate and M obilise 3. P otentiate (or performance) Phase 1: Raise The aim of the raise phase is to increase our body temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, blood flow and joint viscosity. This first section of t

National's Week!

So, as many of you know my sport is badminton and this weekend is the Irish National Championships. I go into the weekend after some good results at the weekend in Essex where I played on the Leinster senior team against Essex and Ulster. Beating Ulster 7-4 and Essex 6-5, this leaves us second in the table going into the final weekend which is in March where we will hope to qualify for the play-offs for promotion to England's top league. With National's this weekend, I have been very focused and excited to play after being selected to represent Ireland at the European Women's team championships in 10 days time. So I am really looking forward to this weekend and my preparation has been going well. Leading up to a tournament I try not to put too much stress on my body while still training at the same time. Looking after your body is a crucial factor in being able to perform at the highest level in competition. This includes diet, sleep and training. Eating a balanced, healt

How to get a 6 pack?!?

Hey guys, for this post I will talk a little bit about training our abs and how we should do this. It is something quite interesting that a lot of people tend to be misinformed about.  When we look to tone our abs and get that 'summer body' that we all want we tend to go straight into working the ab muscles only by doing sit ups and crunches. However, research has found that directly training our abs like this is not what makes our abs more defined. Unless you are very lean and your ab muscles are under-developed. Working the abs only does not make them show better! This is a huge myth because we cannot just work the muscle and expect the fat to be spot-reduced. That's not how the body works unfortunately.  If toned abs is what you are looking for then you should try focus on a diet specifically for fat loss around your waist. Your abs are there, they just happen to be covered by a layer of fat so a fat loss diet around the waist may be something that could wor