Skip to main content

Warm ups 101

Hey guys, welcome back to my blog. For this post I am going to talk about how we should warm up before a training session and I will also give you an example of my warm ups. Hope you enjoy!

Warm ups in my opinion are a vital component of training. Every athlete,in every sport should do a warm up. The point behind warming up is that it gradually warms up our body temperature which decreases risk of injury. Skipping a warm up completely can be extremely detrimental not only to your performance but you can also pick up an injury easily because your muscles aren't warm.

A warm up should last roughly 15-20 minutes. Dr Ian Jeffreys developed the framework RAMP protocol which allows for activities to be easily classified into a warm-up sequence.

1. Raise
2. Activate and Mobilise
3. Potentiate (or performance)

Phase 1: Raise
The aim of the raise phase is to increase our body temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, blood flow and joint viscosity. This first section of the warm-up would usually comprise of a jog around the pitch to gradually increase all of the above. Some say that this is a waste of valuable training time but each to our individual sport we should be adding in sport specific movements to this section of the warm-up. For example, badminton players can do some lunges or fast feet exercises which are specific to the sport.

Phase 2: Activate and Mobilise
The main aim of this phase is to activate key muscle groups and to increase range of motion. During this section of the warm-up, movements such as, lunges, squats, superman's, balance work and mini-band exercises should be done. These are generic exercises and can be done with the group as a whole but each individual athlete can then do their own specific exercises they may have as part of a rehabilitation programme.

Phase 3: Potentiation or performance
The aim of this stage is to prepare the athletes for the session they are about to undergo. There are two primary objectives for this stage which are to: increase the intensity to a comparable level the athletes' are about to compete in and to improve subsequent performance utilizing the effects of post-activation potentiation. Post-activation potentiation is a principle which transits the warm-up into the workout itself. Plyometric exercises as well as short sprints (15-20 meters) should be used in this stage of the warm-up. Finally, you can include some reactive agility drills which are of course sport specific.

When I am warming up for my badminton training I usually start off with a short jog maybe 4-5 minutes followed by some dynamic stretching, including lunges, squats, high knees, heel flicks, toe touches and high kicks. Then I will do some badminton specific movements, including fast feet. Sometimes I will do a few sets of footwork and then I will start hitting. Finally, I will play a quick conditioned game with my partner and then we will start our session.

I think it is extremely important to get a good warm-up in before a session or competition as it gives you time to ease into the training session and really prepare for the intense activity. As someone who knows a lot about getting injured, I try to take every precaution I can to try prevent this from happening. If you are not warm going out to train then you are much more likely to pull a muscle because your body hasn't had time to warm up properly.

Hope this post was useful for you guys and that you can use it in your future training!

References:

  1. Jeffreys, I. (2007). Warm-up revisited: The ramp method of optimizing warm-ups. Professional Strength and Conditioning. (6) 12-18. 

Comments

Andy said…
Thanks for the well explained stages. What thoughts do you have about the mental aspects. Many players need advice on how to leave/control none sport thoughts (home, school, life) off the court.

Popular posts from this blog

How to get a 6 pack?!?

Hey guys, for this post I will talk a little bit about training our abs and how we should do this. It is something quite interesting that a lot of people tend to be misinformed about.  When we look to tone our abs and get that 'summer body' that we all want we tend to go straight into working the ab muscles only by doing sit ups and crunches. However, research has found that directly training our abs like this is not what makes our abs more defined. Unless you are very lean and your ab muscles are under-developed. Working the abs only does not make them show better! This is a huge myth because we cannot just work the muscle and expect the fat to be spot-reduced. That's not how the body works unfortunately.  If toned abs is what you are looking for then you should try focus on a diet specifically for fat loss around your waist. Your abs are there, they just happen to be covered by a layer of fat so a fat loss diet around the waist may be something that could wor

First Post: Get to know me!

Hey Guys, my name is Kate, I am 19 years old and I am an international badminton player and train intensely week in week out. I'm new to the concept of blogging but I thought for my posts I will share with you my opinions on different topics in sport including warm ups, sleep patterns and routines for training and competition and also a few sport hacks. My advice will stem mainly from what I have acquired throughout my badminton career although I am now studying Sports Science and Health and will try incorporate many different sports as well as posts that are generic and work across all sports. As I grow into blogging I hope that I will extend the topics that I will discuss. Hope you all enjoy!  So, for this first post I thought I'd jump right in. Why wait?  So, my question for you is...Should you train while you're sick? Well there's no simple answer to this and everyone has their own rules and proceedings which they follow