Skip to main content

Let's go Leinster!

Hey guys, welcome back!

So, over the weekend I was over in London playing on the Leinster senior team in division 1 of the English Inter Counties. In what was a very successful weekend, I helped the Leinster team finish second in the division, securing a play-off place where we will face stiff opposition from three other English counties to fight for promotion to the premier division, the best in English badminton!

It was a brilliant weekend and a very enjoyable one with some tough games all round. First off, we faced Devon who we beat 8-3. This was a brilliant result for us and a flying start which we had hoped for. Those 8 points were well needed as all the teams around us seemed to be catching up. We followed this up with a 6-5 win over Middlesex to round up the play for Saturday. A massive 14 points gained today which kept us in second and with the help of some other results between the other counties we were in a commanding position in staying second to reach the play-offs!

On Sunday morning, we lined out against Hertfordshire who were top of the league but we knew we could beat them. Every match was critical in this tie as we knew it could go down to the wire especially as it was so close when we played them the last time. Last year, we edged out a 7-4 win but this time our fortunes turned for the worst ending up with an 8-3 loss. This may have dampened our team spirit but we have still qualified for the play-offs and with some important team members missing through injury, we are sure to put up a massive fight to gain promotion. 

I really enjoyed my weekend over in England and I was delighted with my individual performance, winning all 6 of my games. After a good training block following the European Team Championships, my body is feeling fitter every day and I couldn't be happier. One more push from the whole team and we will hopefully be playing in England's top division next year! 

As my third year as part of the Leinster senior team and reaching the play-offs twice in my first two years I am hoping that the third time is a charm and we can gain promotion. Between now and then, however, we have the All Ireland Inter-Provincials where we will battle it out against Ulster, Munster and Connacht for the title. This will give the team some much needed preparation for the play-offs and I am really looking forward to it. 

One of my favorite mottos, I always remember:
"Stay positive, Work hard and Make it happen."
Three things I always try to do no matter what I am doing or where my life is going! Just remember you are your only limit. Do what you want, not what anybody else wants. 

I will be sure to keep you guys posted with how we get on in the play-offs in what could be a memorable season for us!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warm ups 101

Hey guys, welcome back to my blog. For this post I am going to talk about how we should warm up before a training session and I will also give you an example of my warm ups. Hope you enjoy! Warm ups in my opinion are a vital component of training. Every athlete,in every sport should do a warm up. The point behind warming up is that it gradually warms up our body temperature which decreases risk of injury. Skipping a warm up completely can be extremely detrimental not only to your performance but you can also pick up an injury easily because your muscles aren't warm. A warm up should last roughly 15-20 minutes. Dr Ian Jeffreys developed the framework RAMP protocol which allows for activities to be easily classified into a warm-up sequence. 1. R aise 2. A ctivate and M obilise 3. P otentiate (or performance) Phase 1: Raise The aim of the raise phase is to increase our body temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, blood flow and joint viscosity. This first section of t

National's Week!

So, as many of you know my sport is badminton and this weekend is the Irish National Championships. I go into the weekend after some good results at the weekend in Essex where I played on the Leinster senior team against Essex and Ulster. Beating Ulster 7-4 and Essex 6-5, this leaves us second in the table going into the final weekend which is in March where we will hope to qualify for the play-offs for promotion to England's top league. With National's this weekend, I have been very focused and excited to play after being selected to represent Ireland at the European Women's team championships in 10 days time. So I am really looking forward to this weekend and my preparation has been going well. Leading up to a tournament I try not to put too much stress on my body while still training at the same time. Looking after your body is a crucial factor in being able to perform at the highest level in competition. This includes diet, sleep and training. Eating a balanced, healt

How to get a 6 pack?!?

Hey guys, for this post I will talk a little bit about training our abs and how we should do this. It is something quite interesting that a lot of people tend to be misinformed about.  When we look to tone our abs and get that 'summer body' that we all want we tend to go straight into working the ab muscles only by doing sit ups and crunches. However, research has found that directly training our abs like this is not what makes our abs more defined. Unless you are very lean and your ab muscles are under-developed. Working the abs only does not make them show better! This is a huge myth because we cannot just work the muscle and expect the fat to be spot-reduced. That's not how the body works unfortunately.  If toned abs is what you are looking for then you should try focus on a diet specifically for fat loss around your waist. Your abs are there, they just happen to be covered by a layer of fat so a fat loss diet around the waist may be something that could wor