Skip to main content

Wobble Boards: Weird and Wonderful

">Hey guys, so for this post I decided I would talk a little about the wobble board and why I find it so useful for my training and rehabilitation. Such a simple, yet brilliant idea and I love it! If you don't know what a wobble board is, you're mad, but keep reading! It's such a simple thing but it has endless uses and I mean endless! You think your balance is good? Now challenge yourself on the wobble board.
This is a wobble board... Such a simple idea but so so effective! If you don't have a wobble board you need to get one! Like now! This piece of equipment is probably one of my favorites and the best thing is you can use it whenever you want in the comfort of your own home. I have had so many ankle injuries, ranging from torn ligaments to tendinitis to a simple sprain and let me tell you this will become your favorite soon enough!


I first got a wobble board following the recommendation of my physio, about 5 years ago, and from the day I got it I haven't stopped using it. Any athletes in any sport can and should use a wobble board, especially those of you involved in sports which involve a lot of twisting and turning like the court sports do. As an athlete you need to be strong so you can try prevent injuries and while it is not a preventor of injury it definitely assists in rehabilitation and strengthening of muscles.

So I decided to compile a list of possible exercises you can do using a wobble board. There are so many! Most of these exercises are better off performed barefoot so that your foot, it's muscles and surrounding tissues have to work to help you keep your balance in the relatively unkown environment.These exercises will help you with any sort of rehabilitation work following an injury to the foot or lower leg.

8 exercises for a wobble board:
  1. 2 Leg balance
  2. Single leg balance
  3. Simple Squats
  4. 1 Leg squats
  5. Lunges (front or back foot on wobble board)
  6. Plank (wobble board at feet or arms)
  7. Side-to-side taps (Stand with two feet on the board barefoot and slowly rock forward,backward and side to side.)
  8. Press-ups (wobble board placed at feet or hands grip the wobble board)
So, if you have kept reading with me after my rant about the wobble board I really do suggest you get yourself one of these! You can get them online for about 10-20 euro and you won't look back really!

I hope that those of you who read with me have found this post informative and helpful. To conclude, the wobble board is a simple piece of equipment that can be used for balance work, rehabilitation and strength training. Please leave any comments with questions you may have or if you have anything to add! Your input is always welcome. Feel free to share!

Thanks guys, Talk Soon,
Kate






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to get a 6 pack?!?

Hey guys, for this post I will talk a little bit about training our abs and how we should do this. It is something quite interesting that a lot of people tend to be misinformed about.  When we look to tone our abs and get that 'summer body' that we all want we tend to go straight into working the ab muscles only by doing sit ups and crunches. However, research has found that directly training our abs like this is not what makes our abs more defined. Unless you are very lean and your ab muscles are under-developed. Working the abs only does not make them show better! This is a huge myth because we cannot just work the muscle and expect the fat to be spot-reduced. That's not how the body works unfortunately.  If toned abs is what you are looking for then you should try focus on a diet specifically for fat loss around your waist. Your abs are there, they just happen to be covered by a layer of fat so a fat loss diet around the waist may be something that could wor

Warm ups 101

Hey guys, welcome back to my blog. For this post I am going to talk about how we should warm up before a training session and I will also give you an example of my warm ups. Hope you enjoy! Warm ups in my opinion are a vital component of training. Every athlete,in every sport should do a warm up. The point behind warming up is that it gradually warms up our body temperature which decreases risk of injury. Skipping a warm up completely can be extremely detrimental not only to your performance but you can also pick up an injury easily because your muscles aren't warm. A warm up should last roughly 15-20 minutes. Dr Ian Jeffreys developed the framework RAMP protocol which allows for activities to be easily classified into a warm-up sequence. 1. R aise 2. A ctivate and M obilise 3. P otentiate (or performance) Phase 1: Raise The aim of the raise phase is to increase our body temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, blood flow and joint viscosity. This first section of t

National's Week!

So, as many of you know my sport is badminton and this weekend is the Irish National Championships. I go into the weekend after some good results at the weekend in Essex where I played on the Leinster senior team against Essex and Ulster. Beating Ulster 7-4 and Essex 6-5, this leaves us second in the table going into the final weekend which is in March where we will hope to qualify for the play-offs for promotion to England's top league. With National's this weekend, I have been very focused and excited to play after being selected to represent Ireland at the European Women's team championships in 10 days time. So I am really looking forward to this weekend and my preparation has been going well. Leading up to a tournament I try not to put too much stress on my body while still training at the same time. Looking after your body is a crucial factor in being able to perform at the highest level in competition. This includes diet, sleep and training. Eating a balanced, healt