Skip to main content

What have I been up to? Updates:


Hey Guys, sorry for the lack of posts since the new year. I have been super busy with college, training and coaching. I didn't have the time I needed to put aside for the blog, but I am back now and hopefully can start publishing more regularly again. For this post I am going to talk about where I've been and what I have been doing for the past 3 months; in terms of my badminton, coaching and my studies.

Over the Christmas period I was extremely busy with all my college exams which went reasonably well (at the time I wasn't so sure) but I got through them anyway and could focus on my badminton in the lead up to the Irish Nationals. At the beginning of January, I played in the Leinster Open, winning both the singles and the mixed doubles events. I was extremely happy with my performances in both events due to the fact that the competition took place the day after my exams finished and I hadn't felt like I had gotten the preparation I would have liked.

Moving on from the Leinster Open, I then played in the Badminton Premier League for my club the Mount Pleasant Mavericks on the 18th January. On this occasion we played against the South Dublin Spartans whom we beat 5-4 in what was a thrilling match for any spectator’s present. The premier league this year has been enjoyable to play in this year as there are now 6 teams competing to be crowned champions, adding to the competitiveness that was already there.

After the Premier League, I prepared myself for the upcoming English Inter Counties trip, representing Leinster in the Premier division this season. Having missed the first weekend due to injury I was determined to be well prepared for this trip especially looking forward to the Irish Nationals the following week. This weekend could not have gone better for the team. Going into the weekend we were 10th (bottom of the table) and in the relegation zone but after 3 emphatic wins we jumped up the table into 6th place. Over the weekend we played teams from Surrey, Yorkshire and Avon. We beat Surrey 7-4 and Yorkshire 6-5 before falling to a 6-5 defeat against Avon. Although we lost one of the games, we still accumulated a massive 18 points which helped us jump up the table. I played first singles and first mixed in all 3 of these matches and came out successful in all 6. Helping my team to a third of their points on this weekend, I couldn't have hoped for a better return to the team, getting some all-important match play ahead of the Senior Nationals.

Before I knew it, February was upon us and it was National Championships week. I had been anxious all week, trying to prepare in the best way possible for this tournament as I knew I had one shot at putting in a massive performance. When the draws were published, I was reasonably happy with the task in hand. From then, all I needed to do was focus. The hard work had been done, I put in the hours work, balancing my training with my college work and on the day of the tournament all I needed to do was perform. The nerves started to build up, as they do before any match for me, but on this occasion, it was something different. A sort of anxiousness to get out on court and get started. Only playing two disciplines this year (singles and mixed) I was able to focus a lot more. My campaign started on Saturday the 2nd of February in the Women's Singles against Alex Troy, an opponent I had played multiple times this season already. I was adequately prepared and took this game in 2 sets in what was not my best play, in my opinion but credit to Alex who played some good badminton and forced me to work hard. With this win, it meant that I was through to the Semi-final to play Sara Boyle, an opponent I had not faced since junior level I believe. This was the game for me that I needed a lot of preparation. The fact that I hadn't played her in a competitive match for such a long period made it difficult, but I didn't let that affect my game at all. I went out on court with a game plan that Sunday the 3rd of February, a little nervous but once play started I got into a rhythm. I knew how I was going to win that game I just needed to take it point by point as Sara is a tricky opponent. I closed the first set out in convincing fashion 21-12, before taking the second set 21-17 in what was a much nervier set. I had to dig deep and fight hard against myself to get over the line. I did just that and set up a repeat of last year’s final against defending champion Rachael Darragh. Picking out a game plan was of vital importance here as usually this is something I struggle sticking to. I didn't look too much into a match up with Darragh because I didn't want to look too far ahead of myself and having never beaten Rachael before I knew that this was going to be the toughest test. Going into the match I knew I had prepared well but my overall aim was to put in a good performance. My first goal was to take a set, something I have always struggled to do against this opponent. But I think that having these mini goals I was able to control myself and my play with more freedom. I started quite poorly, going 5 or 6 points down before picking myself up to lead at the mid-game interval. I knew that if I could stay calm and focused, I could keep getting points on the board. Before I knew it, I had stormed to a 21-12 victory in the first set. So many thoughts running through my head now I knew I just needed to remain calm and focus on the task in hand. I started the second set in similar fashion, going down by 5 or 6 points again before turning it around to lead 11-9 at the interval. At this stage, I needed to block everything out that was going on around me, as the Men’s singles final was being played on the adjacent court. However, I went back on court and continued to play my badminton and somehow, I managed to come out on top winning the second set 21-15. After the final rally, I dropped my racket in joy as I couldn't believe what had just happened. I couldn't comprehend that I was the new Irish National Champion. It was just a dream come true. I didn't even get time to let it sink in before I was brought to doping control...

Following on from the National Championships, I turned my focus to the U13 Celtic Challenge in Wales. This time going as coach to 12 under 13s, I was excited for the new experience. The team played against teams from Alpha (Ulster), Lothian (Scotland) and Wales in what was an enjoyable and successful weekend for the young Leinster team. The team played out two wins 11-4 against Alpha and 13-2 against Wales to set up a final match against Lothian on the Sunday morning. The team followed on from their excellent form to beat Lothian 11-4 and take the Celtic Challenge Cup back to Leinster. I will now look forward to coaching the U13s next season in our quest to retain the trophy.

Now I could turn my focus back to my badminton, where I prepared myself for yet another Premier League Match night in February. This time the Mount Pleasant Mavericks played against Dynamite 21 and stormed to a 9-0 victory, jumping to top of the Premier league table. Now with one match left to play against the Pembroke Panthers, we are in pole position for qualifying for the final. A win against the Panthers should secure the Mavericks a spot in the final, which would be the first time for the club.

Moving on into March, I turned my focus to the next ICC weekend with the Leinster senior team as we prepared for the final weekend aiming to retain our spot in the Premier division for the 2019/20 season. The team played brilliantly over the course of the weekend, picking up a 6-5 win over Glasgow and a 7-4 win over Sussex before falling at the feet of a strong Buckinghamshire team 8-3. Not a bad weekend work from the team, finishing in 6th place, keeping our spot in premier for the next season. I won 50% of my games over the weekend, not a bad return having been sick and on antibiotics. Throughout the course of the month I had national squads as well as U13 squads to coach and during all that I found out that I had been selected to represent Ireland in the Sudirman Cup which will take place in China in May. I couldn’t have been happier with this selection following on from what seemed to be a good season for me.

Thanks for reading and don’t forget to like, comment and share! More posts to come!
Kate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warm ups 101

Hey guys, welcome back to my blog. For this post I am going to talk about how we should warm up before a training session and I will also give you an example of my warm ups. Hope you enjoy! Warm ups in my opinion are a vital component of training. Every athlete,in every sport should do a warm up. The point behind warming up is that it gradually warms up our body temperature which decreases risk of injury. Skipping a warm up completely can be extremely detrimental not only to your performance but you can also pick up an injury easily because your muscles aren't warm. A warm up should last roughly 15-20 minutes. Dr Ian Jeffreys developed the framework RAMP protocol which allows for activities to be easily classified into a warm-up sequence. 1. R aise 2. A ctivate and M obilise 3. P otentiate (or performance) Phase 1: Raise The aim of the raise phase is to increase our body temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, blood flow and joint viscosity. This first section of t

National's Week!

So, as many of you know my sport is badminton and this weekend is the Irish National Championships. I go into the weekend after some good results at the weekend in Essex where I played on the Leinster senior team against Essex and Ulster. Beating Ulster 7-4 and Essex 6-5, this leaves us second in the table going into the final weekend which is in March where we will hope to qualify for the play-offs for promotion to England's top league. With National's this weekend, I have been very focused and excited to play after being selected to represent Ireland at the European Women's team championships in 10 days time. So I am really looking forward to this weekend and my preparation has been going well. Leading up to a tournament I try not to put too much stress on my body while still training at the same time. Looking after your body is a crucial factor in being able to perform at the highest level in competition. This includes diet, sleep and training. Eating a balanced, healt

How to get a 6 pack?!?

Hey guys, for this post I will talk a little bit about training our abs and how we should do this. It is something quite interesting that a lot of people tend to be misinformed about.  When we look to tone our abs and get that 'summer body' that we all want we tend to go straight into working the ab muscles only by doing sit ups and crunches. However, research has found that directly training our abs like this is not what makes our abs more defined. Unless you are very lean and your ab muscles are under-developed. Working the abs only does not make them show better! This is a huge myth because we cannot just work the muscle and expect the fat to be spot-reduced. That's not how the body works unfortunately.  If toned abs is what you are looking for then you should try focus on a diet specifically for fat loss around your waist. Your abs are there, they just happen to be covered by a layer of fat so a fat loss diet around the waist may be something that could wor