Skip to main content

Genetics... Do they matter?

Hey guys, post number two! Here it goes.

So, when we are training day after day to reach our potential you think to yourself "keep going you can do this". You want to win that Olympic Gold medal or the World Cup, whatever your endeavors may be, big or small. The truth is, you can have all the skill in the world but skill doesn't win Olympic Gold on it's own. Hard work, determination as well as the skill will win you that final. It doesn't come easy. Nothing does in this life. So, if your dream is to be an Olympic Champion or a World Champion in your chosen sport then my advice to you is to work hard and never give up. Winners never give up and that is what can lead to your success. You don't just stop training when you're tired you stop when you are done. I don't know much about boxing but I loved Muhammad Ali and what he did in sport and so when I am training and trying to reach my goals I always remember him and in particular his saying: "Don't quit, suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion". Whenever I feel things aren't going right this is what I think of. Because we only get one shot to be the best we can be so we need to work now.

But the main question is... Do our genetics make a difference? Simple answer. Yes. Our genetics play a huge role in defining our futures. If you put it this way, you're either born an Olympic Champion or you're not. Now that's not to say there's no in between, of course there is! But to be an Olympic champion you can thank your genetics. In short that is, obviously victory doesn't just come that easy. A favorable genetic profile combined with natural skill and hard work and dedication is what makes a champion. But you need all three to be the best. Not very many genes are consistently linked with elite athlete performance but we still rely on our genes. And for those of you wondering, these genes, which aid athletic performance stem from our mother not our father so make sure you thank your mum when you become Olympic champion! Science itself has discovered the role genetics play in elite athlete performance. Genetic testing can be carried out in which we are tested for certain genes and this will tell us if we have the right genes to contribute to athletic performance. Genetic testing, however, isn't all that useful in identifying talent from a group of people. Although genetics play a huge role in defining our future, they don't control our life and we can still make what we want of it. 

To conclude, genetics do make a difference but aren't the sole factor in defining a champion. Genes play a role in athletic performance only if accompanied by the correct training environment and hard work ethic put in by the individual. Michael Phelps is a brilliant example. He trained and trained and trained and all his hard work, along with his natural skill allowed him to be Olympic Champion. So my advice to you is to work hard and prove you can be the best, no one is stopping you after all! So work hard and put that skill you were given to good use. Follow your dreams! Live the life you want. 


I hope this post was somewhat interesting to you guys and that you took something from it. If you have any questions you want answered feel free to leave a comment and I'll try answer in future posts. Thanks guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warm ups 101

Hey guys, welcome back to my blog. For this post I am going to talk about how we should warm up before a training session and I will also give you an example of my warm ups. Hope you enjoy! Warm ups in my opinion are a vital component of training. Every athlete,in every sport should do a warm up. The point behind warming up is that it gradually warms up our body temperature which decreases risk of injury. Skipping a warm up completely can be extremely detrimental not only to your performance but you can also pick up an injury easily because your muscles aren't warm. A warm up should last roughly 15-20 minutes. Dr Ian Jeffreys developed the framework RAMP protocol which allows for activities to be easily classified into a warm-up sequence. 1. R aise 2. A ctivate and M obilise 3. P otentiate (or performance) Phase 1: Raise The aim of the raise phase is to increase our body temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, blood flow and joint viscosity. This first section of t

First Post: Get to know me!

Hey Guys, my name is Kate, I am 19 years old and I am an international badminton player and train intensely week in week out. I'm new to the concept of blogging but I thought for my posts I will share with you my opinions on different topics in sport including warm ups, sleep patterns and routines for training and competition and also a few sport hacks. My advice will stem mainly from what I have acquired throughout my badminton career although I am now studying Sports Science and Health and will try incorporate many different sports as well as posts that are generic and work across all sports. As I grow into blogging I hope that I will extend the topics that I will discuss. Hope you all enjoy!  So, for this first post I thought I'd jump right in. Why wait?  So, my question for you is...Should you train while you're sick? Well there's no simple answer to this and everyone has their own rules and proceedings which they follow

National's Week!

So, as many of you know my sport is badminton and this weekend is the Irish National Championships. I go into the weekend after some good results at the weekend in Essex where I played on the Leinster senior team against Essex and Ulster. Beating Ulster 7-4 and Essex 6-5, this leaves us second in the table going into the final weekend which is in March where we will hope to qualify for the play-offs for promotion to England's top league. With National's this weekend, I have been very focused and excited to play after being selected to represent Ireland at the European Women's team championships in 10 days time. So I am really looking forward to this weekend and my preparation has been going well. Leading up to a tournament I try not to put too much stress on my body while still training at the same time. Looking after your body is a crucial factor in being able to perform at the highest level in competition. This includes diet, sleep and training. Eating a balanced, healt